This is Wat Arun. It means Temple of the Dawn, probably because it's so tall and gets the early morning light first. In my photos however, it gets boring overcast sky light instead.

I like temples with stairs. They're more interactive.

Looking down can give you vertigo.

The temple has lots of sculptures decorated with bits of porcelain.


Here's Wat Pho better known as the temple with the giant reclining Buddha.


Little known fact: Buddha became a pacifist after the army rejected him due to flat feet. True story.

And check out this information sign at Wat Pho.
It was a little creepy because I was just thinking about how much I wanted to buy a small Buddha sculpture, have a beverage, go to the bathroom and learn about my future. Those fortune tellers are good.On the way to the Grand Palace I was stopped by two students studying hotel management who had to survey tourists for a class. At the end, in order to prove that they didn't make up the answers themselves, they asked to take a photo with me. I agreed, but as is my rule, if you get a photo with me, I get a photo with you. I don't think I've ever looked more sketchy.

If you're going to do the Grand Palace, you should do it first. By the time I got there I had reached my saturation point with Thai architecture. However there was this very cool painting.
This is only a small bit. It goes on for walls and walls and tells the story of an evil king that steals the wife of the good king. At least that's what I was told, however mostly it looked to be about giant monsters tearing stuff up. Here are some snippets (which I think get regularly retouched because they were in far too good condition).




And I really like this little bit. Check out these Hippies playing hackey sack.
No comments:
Post a Comment