Sunday, July 27, 2008

Biking to Angkor Wat: Day 4, Slow Boat to Siem Reap

Day four was a slow boat ride from Battambang to Siem Reap, down the Sangker River. Since my insides were still recovering from the previous day I wasn't against skipping the bike for a day, but I don't think I can recommend the slow boat either.

It was an eight hour ride, in a small, crowded, uncomfortable boat whose smelly diesel engine kept dying on us.

The interesting part of the ride is passing through these Vietnamese floating villages that dot the river.










It was brutally hot all day, but right when we docked in Siem Reap, a big storm moved it.

Biking to the hotel in the rain was quite a relief actually. And I didn't know this going in, but now is actually the rainy season in Cambodia which means it rains every afternoon. This is actually a good thing, since it cools everything down and prevents the roads from getting dusty.

1 comment:

Some Chilean Woman said...

Had to stop and comment. What an awesome experience I get to vicariously live through you!