Friday, June 27, 2008

White People

You don't see too many white people (Orang Putih) in Kuala Terengganu, and the tourists I do come across don't usually smile or make eye contact. I must be ruining their authentic experience.

So I came up with a project. We would appear to take photos of ourselves, but really be snapping shots of the other white tourists (a trick I learned from Robert De Niro in the movie Ronin). This project ended up being more difficult than I initially expected. First of all, I need a white person, no easy feat. Second I have to be with Aaron so that one of us can be in the photo while the other shoots it. Third, one of us needs our camera. And finally white people move around a lot so you don't have a lot of time to get a good shot.

Here's what we got so far.






Hopefully there will be more to come.

6 comments:

Jonah said...

dude, those are awesome. and you totally got busted by that last pair of backpackers.

Martin Knox said...

Excellent! Well done! Good plan! Damnation to the Nasty Putih!

Adam Sacks said...

I disagree Mike. If there's one thing I've learned from Malaysia it's that white people were made to be conversation pieces.

And Jonah, getting busted was my own fault. We took one photo, and I foolishly (and a bit too loudly) said, "Let's take another one, with more of them and less of me."

emma goo said...

these are funny/awesome... amusing posts, dude. :)

deerseason87 said...

more, more, more!

caitlin said...

This is too funny.
I just went back and read more of your blog too. I'll have send that spongebob post to my coworkers, I bet they'd appreciate it.